Criminal law cases may differ per offense:
- Misdemeanors are petty crimes and are just minor offenses. A Misdemeanor is punishable by fines or jail time of less than a year in a local prison. Examples of a misdemeanor are petty theft, driving under the influence, minor in possession of alcohol, etc.
- Felony, on the other hand, is a significant crime committed and is punishable by imprisonment for more than a year. Examples of a felony are rape, treason, kidnapping, robbery, murder, and drug trafficking.
- Juvenile Crimes involve minor defendants. Since minors are concerned, they are given more lenient punishment considering their age, education, and other factors.
- Capital Crimes require a lifetime of imprisonment or death. Murder and rape are examples of capital crimes. Capital crimes presupposed the individual’s intent to kill and involved the act that necessitates the commission of the premeditated act.
- Minor crimes are offenses punishable only by imposing fines. Petty crimes need not be filed in court and need not involve a full-blown trial. A minor crime would include: unintentionally causing injury to livestock owned by another. The injury would cause the assailant a fine of 5000 Dirhams.
Here are other examples of crimes that are covered by Criminal Law:
- Assault and Battery – this includes harassment, injury, and abuse.
- Arson – this includes an intentional explosion or starting a fire to damage property. This is mostly punishable by jail time of up to 20 years.
- Armed Robbery – robbery, especially when armed, can be punished with serious penalties.
- Child Abuse – this is another serious criminal offense. Child abusers can be sentenced to long years in jail
- Kidnapping – This criminal law case happens when a person is forcibly taken by other persons and is for ransom. Kidnapping cases get more severe punishment if it involves kidnapping minors and kidnapping during a carjacking.
- Hate Crimes – this involves racy acts of violence against someone of a different race, sexual orientation, or those with other certain traits.
- Man Slaughter – This is a type of criminal law case where an individual commits unintentional killing or death of a person.
HOW CAN A LAWYER HELP YOU
As stated under Article 4 of the General Provisions of Federal Law No. 35/1992, any person accused of a felony of life imprisonment or death must be assisted by a credible lawyer. If the person could not afford to do so, the court shall appoint one for him.
Generally, the prosecution has the exclusive jurisdiction to carry out the investigation and directs indictments according to the provisions of the law. However, some cases listed in Article 10 of Federal Law No. 35/1992 do not need the prosecutor’s aid, and the complainant may file the action himself or through his legal representative.
It is important to note that, in Dubai, the prosecution must be well versed in Arabic; otherwise, seek the help of an interpreter after taking an oath. Noteworthy is the fact the criminal actions expire. Withdrawal or death of the victim would lapse the criminal action.
You will need a lawyer who could help you navigate your way through the criminal justice system for you to get the justice you deserve. For without the assistance of a legal mind, the law will not help the victims who need it the most.